Enjoli – Adventures in Taiwan

“Oh no! I left the camera in the taxi!”

It was Sabbath morning and we were on our way to the “Big Event.” The Big Event was a big gathering and church service of all the Adventists in Taiwan that was sponsored by the conference. It was also a celebration for all the people getting baptized. From our church, we had seven people (praise God!) come up for baptism during the evangelistic series a little while back. I helped with the children’s program, and in all, the evangelistic series was a great success.

My dad had to leave early, so that left my mom, sister, and I to figure out how to get there. Thankfully, a friend graciously offered to meet us at the MRT station and help us find our way to the hall. We were going to take a bus to the MRT, but it was taking a while, and a taxi conveniently showed up.

“Let’s just take the taxi,” my mom said. “Who knows when our bus will come–t’s taking forever!”

We waved the taxi and hopped in. About fifteen minutes later, we arrived at the MRT station. My mom paid him and then we got out of the taxi. We started walking to the other side of the station where we were supposed to meet Shin. This is when my mom halted and gasped, “I left the camera in the taxi!”

We immediately turned around and ran back to the road where he had dropped us off. My mom peered through a few of the parked taxis, trying to seeif it was the right one, but it was in vain. The taxi had already left. One of the drivers beckoned us to hop in his taxi, thinking that we wanted a ride.

“No, I left my camera in another taxi!” My mom tried to explain.

“Enjoli,” she said, turning to me. “Hurry and go get Shin!”

Turning around, I  quickly run back to the other side of the station. I got quite a few stares as I ran by. I could just imagine their thoughts: Who’s that white American girl all dressed up that’s just running through the station!?

Finally, I spotted  him in the crowd.

“Hi, Happy Sabbath!”

“Hi!” I gasped  for breath. “You have to come…quickly…my mom…left her camera…in the taxi!” I exclaimed between breaths.

His smiled turned into a worried frown. “Let’s go!”

So, we ran back to the other side of the station.

When we arrived, my mom brought us up to date. “I kept telling this guy that I left my camera in a taxi, so he told me to call this number. Apparently, that number was the police department. So, the police should be here soon.” My mom sighed. Not surprisingly, she was very stressed and worried.

Shin immediately began calling and talking to people.

Soon, the police came and talked to us. Of course, we had no clue what they were saying, but Shin translated for us: “He said they are going to check the cameras surrounding the MRT to see if they can see the taxi you came in and its number.” He translated. “Stay here, and I’ll go with them to the Police Department around the corner and watch the video cameras.”

So we waited…and waited…and waited.

“I’m sure they’ll find it. And I guess if we don’t, well, you keep talking about getting a new camera.” I told my mom, trying to cheer her up.

We waited for about an hour or so after they left when Shin called us.

“We can’t find it, but if you want, you guys can come over here and see If you can.”

So, we walked over to the police office. We kept watching the video but we couldn’t find ourselves either!

Suddenly, my mom spotted the bottom of her long church-dress in the video.  “There I am! We are right there!”

We couldn’t see the license plate of the taxi though. Our taxi had pulled in between two other taxis and dropped us off. It just so happened that right as we get out of the car, a bunch of traffic goes by. If my mom had not worn a long dress (which she had debated on) there was no way you could have seen us.

The police went back in the video and played it in slow motion. After a few tries, we saw the license plate!  The police went right to work and called the number. Turns out that it was only the number of the taxi, but eventually they got a hold of the driver.  We were just talking amongst ourselves as we sat in the office chairs, when they told us the great news: they had gotten a hold of the driver and would be here in about a half hour!

You can know without a doubt that we thanked God for the miracle he performed.


*Enjoli is the 15-year-old daughter of missionaries volunteering through Adventist Volunteer Service and Office of Volunteer Ministries, serving in Taiwan.  This was taken with her (and her parents’) permission from Enjoli’s blog, and was originally posted Nov. 13, 2014.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s